Raising QUALITY Together: Sacramento County's Quality Rating and Improvement System
Raising QUALITY Together (RQT) is Sacramento County’s Quality Rating and Improvement System.
The primary purposes of RQT are to:
- Help families identify high-quality early learning settings.
- Assist early learning programs, directors and staff with their efforts to provide high-quality early care and education.
- Offer research-based resources, information, and professional development to early learning programs, administrators and staff.
The Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) is a voluntary program focused on creating a comprehensive system that establishes uniform standards of quality for early learning programs, and provides quality research-based support for licensed early care and education centers and family child care homes serving children birth through age five.
Research studies have identified elements of quality for programs serving children age birth to five and their families. Raising QUALITY Together uses the following seven elements grouped under three core areas that are foundational for the Quality Rating and Improvement System.
Core 1: Child Development & School Readiness
- Element 1: Evidence-based child assessment or observation tool
- Element 2: Developmental health screenings with referral for families if needed
Core 2: Teacher and Teaching
- Element 3: Emphasis given to staff education and ongoing professional development
- Element 4: Effective adult-to-child interactions are consistent throughout the day
Core 3: Program and Environment
- Element 5: Safe environments planned to promote children’s optimum development
- Element 6: Small group sizes and low adult-to-child ratios to ensure children are given the attention they need
- Element 7: Directors are life-long learners that are visionary leaders
Raising Quality Together coordinates a robust PD calendar with in-person sessions that are scheduled on Saturdays, specially selected to support program staff‘s on-going knowledge and skill acquisition. The session topics...
RQT uses the QRIS Matrix to measure seven elements of program quality....
This document outlines the three Steps of Raising Quality Together participation and describes the program supports available within each Step level....
Program staff who work directly with children on a daily basis at a Step 2 or Step 3 RQT site can enroll in approved, ECE/CD degree pathway college courses and be reimbursed for up to $500 of tuition and/or textbook costs...
Raising Quality Together offers CLASS-related professional development options to programs participating at the Step 2 or Step 3 level to support their program in the implementation of the CLASS tool. The CLASS tool is an observation instrument...
This handout provides guidance related to the professional development requirements identified in Element 3: Early Childhood Educator Qualifications....
This handout provides guidance about the seven Elements within the QRIS Matrix and includes Element goals, point levels, and resources that support programs working to improve their quality....
Each program participating in RQT develops a Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) to support continuous quality improvement. The QIP is developed by selecting goals based on the seven Elements of quality within the QRIS Matrix. The plan is the...